Thursday, October 3, 2013

A little TMI

As I sit here being fed cup after cup of imaginary food I realize how blessed I truly am. A year and a half ago we weren't sure if I would be alive to eat imaginary food or enjoy my baby girl at all. After a difficult pregnancy ending in an emergency c-section we had a tiny but healthy baby girl, hooray, but that's when things started going downhill. I never felt right after the c-section. My obgyn passed it off as neurotic, hormonal new mom but I knew I didn't feel right. After two weeks home I was feeling awful. I hadn't eaten anything and I was so sick. My mom and hubby finally forced me to go to the E.R. They found that I was bleeding internally. I had a severe infection from the bleeding and I had lost a lot of blood. After some antibiotics and a blood transfusion with a couple units of blood we thought the worst had passed. We were wrong again. My body couldn't handle the amount of blood that I had bled out and was still in my abdomen. The pressure from the bleeding caused my intestines to rupture. WARNING: Kinda nasty medical stuff....squeamish turn away now.... Ok I warned you. Anyway all the blood and infection and stuff from my intestines had to go somewhere so it went to the path of least resistance, my c-section scar. I literally exploded it was the most horrifying experience of my life. So after it started draining everyone thought the worst had passed, again we were wrong. Turns out my intestines were literally coming out of my c-section scar. Anything I ate come right back out, yup you guessed it, through my scar. After a month in the hospital they finally figured out what was wrong. My body created it own ostomy and I went home with an ostomy bag attached to my scar, a picc line [long term IV], and a prescription for TPN [IV food]. I spent 5 months on TPN and was not allowed to eat a bite of food in hopes my intestine would heal on its own and my scar would close. The scar did close numerous times but only to be filled with infection and have to be cut open and drained in the hospital. Finally in October, 7 months after my daughter was born, I ended up having a bowel resection to remove the intestines from my stomach wall and cut the damaged pieces out. After the surgery we found out I had three sections that had to be removed. I healed well after the surgery and FINALLY the worst was over. I will never be the same physically or mentally. It was a horrible experience for my whole family. My family had to take care of a newborn while worrying about losing me. The worst part for me was missing out on the first few months of my child's life from being in and out of the hospital and on so much medication. The funny thing is the worst experience of my life came from the best experience of my life. Do I wish it had gone differently, ABSOLUTELY. Would I do it all over again to have my baby, ABSOLUTELY. Silver lining is that it did make me appreciate what I have more. Sorry for the TMI but I had to tell this story! Well excuse me I have some imaginary food to eat!

2 comments:

  1. How awful! Did the surgery put things back together again or do you still have an ostomy? I have an ileostomy due to colon cancer and ulcerative colitis. Mine was an improvement though. I can't imagine having your body create it's own stoma though!! I'm glad you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it was a crazy experience to say the least. They actually lopped off the stoma and removed that part of the small intestine in the surgery and tried to smooth out the scar which was a task after it had been reopened so many times. Now its just the nerve damage from all the cutting and my intestines don't exactly work as well but it's definitely an improvement. Do you find it hard to do daily activities with your ileostomy? I found the bag to be akward and cumbersome and being in the front it looked like a balloon in my pants. Also my skin would be eat up from the glue.

      Delete